Comer Children's is a Level I pediatric trauma center. Comer provides care for critically ill and injured children in our technologically advanced Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. This 30-bed facility is fully equipped to treat children with complex medical problems, conditions requiring major surgery, including cardiac, transplant, and neurosurgery, and multiple traumas.
Sign on Bonus up to $5,000.00
Assistant Patient Care Manager Job Summary:
The Assistant Patient Care Manager will be responsible and accountable for over-seeing the operations of a designated Care Center on her/his respective shift. Duties include directing delivery of quality, patient-centered care in a financially responsible manner. This is in collaboration with and under the supervision of the Care Center Patient Care Managers and Clinical Director.
The Assistant Patient Care Manager (APCM) for the Comer PICU provides clinical and administrative leadership. In this role you are responsible for assisting in the management of the nursing and clinical support staff. The APCM is responsible for providing regulatory and quality oversight to the staff. This person works in conjunction with the Patient Care Manager to oversee the daily operations of the unit in a financially responsible and patient-centered care manner. The individual who holds this position exemplifies the mission, vision and values of The University of Chicago Medical Center Comer Children’s Hospital.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists & collaborates with the PCMs in supporting changes, new and existing programs with staff input and feedback
- Aides in development of goals that are consistent with department goals and Hospitals’ mission
- Assists & collaborates in utilizing appropriate resources and departments to facilitate operations
- Identifies issues, presents strategies and acts as a change agent to resolve patient care issues
- Provides clinical expertise and resources for unit
- Rounds, assesses, and addresses customer and patient satisfaction
- Oversees performance management, staff development, and staff retention
- Participates in the Quality Improvement (QI) processes by assisting in identifying issues to be examined, collects and analyzes data, and reports to QI committee and staff
- Evaluates and addresses staffing needs and participates in the interview and selection process of staff
- Monitors a budget and maximizes care efficiency and throughput
- Active participation in committee work and task force assignments on as needed basis
Assistant Patient Care Manager Required Qualifications
- Graduate of an NLN accredited School of Nursing.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or higher, Master’s degree preferred.
- Current Illinois RN license
- 1-2 years of Charge Nurse experience with demonstrated leadership skills highly preferred
- Pediatric/Pediatric ICU experience is highly preferred; critical care experience preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of collective bargaining agreements.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to maintain an open network of communication among staff members, care center and sector leadership, and other health care professionals and departments.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time (1.0 FTE)
- Shift: Evening shift, 2p-12a & Night Shift 9P - 7A, every other weekend and on-call coverage included
- Unit/Department: PICU
- CBA Code: Non-Union