Join UChicago Medicine, as an Advanced Practice Provider in our Advanced Heart Failure Department.
As an Advanced Practice Provider, you are responsible for comprehensive direct patient care management.
In this role, you will utilize advanced assessment skills and knowledge of clinical therapeutics to evaluate, diagnose and manage patients in the ambulatory setting. The APP orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic tests, therapeutic interventions and prescribes pharmacological agents as necessary. As an APP, you will maintain continuity of patient care through patient follow-up, monitoring of patient progress and modifying plan of care as necessary. The APP applies knowledge of new technology and resources demonstrating advanced or specialized expertise.
Sign On Bonus Available!
Essential Job Functions
- Under physician supervision, directs and coordinates care of complex heart failure patients in the inpatient setting. Patient population also includes pre heart transplant and general cardiology post hospital discharge patients.The clinician will complete detailed histories and physicals collect and interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies; as well as order tests, prescribe medications and assist in maintaining continuity of care throughout Cardiovascular Medicine.
- Will initiate and titrate guideline directed medical therapy for a diverse group of ambulatory heart failure patients. Independently implementing appropriate pharmacological therapies.
- Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body systems.
- Accurately interprets diagnostic tests.
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, comprehensive physical examination, and psycho-social assessments
- Identifies educational needs of the patient and family and assists with teaching.
- Incorporates assessment findings into a plan to direct patient care.
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocols and standardized procedures for nurse practitioners.
- Initiates referrals based on patient and family need.
- Accurately presents and documents the database, impression and plan of care.
- Maintains formal and informal systems for information sharing, planning and problem solving with clinic staff, physician partners and other Advanced Practice Providers
- Comfortable identifying and referring patients appropriately to specialized areas of Electrophysiology, Interventional Cardiology, etc.
- Analyzes multiple sources of data in making clinical judgments and in determining the effectiveness of a plan of care.
- Participates in research projects in the practice area.
- Performs other related duties and initiatives as deemed necessary in the best interests of patient care.
Nurse Practitioner Job Summary:
The Nurse Practitioner is an advanced practice nurse responsible for comprehensive direct patient care management. The Nurse Practitioner manages a caseload of patients and exercises autonomous decision making in the assessment, diagnosis, and initiation of delegated medical treatments. The scope of practice also includes family support, teaching, staff education, consultation, and research.
Nurse Practitioner - Education and Experience Requirements:
- Advanced degree (or equivalent, if license received prior to July 1, 2001) from an accredited school/college of nursing required.
- Ability to obtain Illinois advanced practice nurse (APN) license by start date required.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse required.
- AANC certification as an Acute Care, Adult-Gerontology or Family Nurse Practitioner
- Minimum 2 years of Cardiovascular clinical nursing experience with demonstrated clinical competence in patient care, teaching and management of patients with critical illness, and knowledge about clinical aspects of critical care including protocol therapy preferred. Must have direct experience with Heart Failure Guideline Directed Medical Therapy initiation, titration and management.
Physician Assistant Job Summary:
The Physician Assistant is qualified by academic and clinical education to provide healthcare and patient services that may include educational, research, clinical nursing specialist support and administrative activities under the direction and supervision of the Director/leadership. The PA has acquired the knowledge, skills and judgment necessary to assist the physician through organized instruction and supervised practice. This licensed health professional will take patient histories, conduct examinations, diagnose illnesses, post discharge patient evaluation and order and interpret laboratory tests. The PA exercises autonomy in medical decision-making and provides a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services.
Physician Assistant - Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education: Completion of an accredited (physician assistant) educational program required.
- Licensure: Certification in ACLS and by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) and current and/or eligibility for: State of Illinois licensure / registration required
- ICU experience highly preferred
- Must have direct experience with Heart Failure Guideline Directed Medical Therapy initiation, titration and management.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-Time, 1.0 FTE
- Shift: 3 12 hour days, no weekends
- Unit/Department: 374581- APN Billing
- CBA Code: Non-Union