Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
This is a Local 73 Union position. Posting dates: 11/29/18 – 12/5/18
Join one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, in the role of Painter.
In this role, you will apply protective coatings to interior and exterior portions of Medical Center buildings, furniture and fixtures according to the decor of the location.
- Keeping working areas neat, clean, and safe.
- Communicating with patients, visitors, and other Hospital employees with tact and courtesy.
- Offering assistance to patients and visitors requiring special assistance.
- Maintaining patients' rights to privacy.
- Following through on all assigned duties until completion.
- Maintaining personal appearance in accordance with departmental policy on dress and uniform.
- Completing required departmental paperwork in timely and legible fashion.
- Taping drywall and preparing surfaces prior to the application of paint, stain, or wall covering material.
- Applying decorative and protective coatings to interior and exterior surfaces of the Medical Center buildings, furniture, and fixtures.
- Using power spray equipment, brushes, or rollers for application of coatings.
- Mixing paint and matching existing colors when required.
- Performing minor maintenance of equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Requisitioning materials and supplies as needed.
- Performing other duties assigned.
You’ll thrive in this position if you:
- Demonstrate PRIDE Values – you actively demonstrate UCMC values in your work and relationships. You encourage others to model the behaviors and proactively identify gaps.
- Strengthen Collaboration – you put the organizations interests and customer needs ahead of your own. You identify and create effective working collaborations with others; establish good interpersonal relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated, and offer support. You present sound reasons and recommendations that link to the needs of those impacted; obtain agreement to support ideas; leverage win-win solutions to ensure others take action.
- Deliver Results – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Embrace Change – you treat change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth; identifies the benefits and risks of change. You quickly modify behavior to deal effectively with changes; remains effective during times of ambiguity and uncertainty. You honor the need in others to ask questions; helps others overcome resistance.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of a recognized apprentice program in painting.
- Must be able to pass vision test for color blindness in pre-employment physical.
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions and communicate with others in writing.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of power and hand equipment used on the job.
- Must be able to work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Must be physically capable of performing the work expected in an efficient manner.
- Must have knowledge of safety rules, practices, and equipment.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively and work with other people.
- Must be capable of strenuous physical activity.
Why Join Us:
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.