Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Join one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, in the role of Facility Engineer.
In this role, you will analyze, identify and implement ways and means (technical and procedural) to improve the effectiveness of energy consumption in UCMC buildings. This may include management of energy efficiency and operational improvement projects.
- Creating a facility wide plan to manage energy efficiency initiatives and energy management systems.
- Preparing reports, statistics and analysis on departmental metrics and operational subjects relating to UCMC goals and departmental initiatives. This includes energy metrics, energy consumption reductions, internal customer satisfaction, goal achievement, and benchmarking.
- Conducting special studies and providing recommendations for improvement of operations and processes such as new and inventive waste to increase energy efficiency.
- Coordinating operational improvement plans with departmental managers to reduce energy consumption and improve HVAC system operations and reports on interim results.
- Acting as a business and technical resource, including associated IT systems, to departmental leadership and support staff.
- Developing tools to assist supervisors and managers in the management of energy, BAS and HVAC systems and operations.
- Conducting process improvement and reengineering studies to improve efficiency and outcomes.
- Attending all leadership meetings, quality programs and hospital-wide initiatives and committees as assigned.
- Converting budgets into operational plans and communicating to leadership.
- Serving as a key advisor to the Associate Director of Facilities Operations on energy and BAS matters.
- Participating in lectures, seminars, newsletters and other communication devices (e.g., web sites) associated with UCMC’s utility management and sustainability programs.
Finance & Budgeting:
- Overseeing the utility budgeting (operational and capital) activities for all Facilities Design and Construction cost centers This includes gathering preliminary budget projections, service and supplies, budget preparation and analysis, budget presentation, and monthly reporting.
- Tracking and analyzing expenses and identifying activities and other factors that affect expenses.
- Reviewing purchasing processes to maximize operational efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Conducting contract reviews, RFPs and vendor proposals with Directors by evaluating service, quality and pricing.
- Ensuring proper dissemination of financial information to the department's leadership to allow for effective decision making and planning.
- Performing other duties assigned.
You’ll thrive in this position if you:
- Accelerate Change – you quickly recognize the various inputs that impact successful results; you determine steps required to achieve successful outcomes; adjusts work and timelines as needs and priorities change; motivates others to gain commitment. You apply understanding of industry, UCMC and one’s own role to successfully advance the organization’s performance. You recognize the potential of continuous improvement and utilize the 5S methodology.
- Promote Innovation – you combine ideas in a unique way or make connections between ideas that may appear to be different; explore situations from multiple perspectives, seek alternative ways to define problems. You are open to diverse thoughts and approaches by others. You test solutions, gather feedback on effectiveness, review impact on the results and modify appropriately to product expected results.
- Deliver Results – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Communicate with Impact – you focus on the message of others, provide undivided attention, and defer judgment. You convey messages logically, simply, and with confidence. You check for understanding by asking questions, seeking clarity and responding accordingly.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Must possess or be eligible for registration as a professional engineer.
- A minimum of five years of experience in HVAC, facilities and/or energy management.
- Must have worked with energy monitoring and building automation systems.
- Must have experience with energy metering and metrics.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Excellent working knowledge of building automation systems (e.g., Johnson Controls, Siemens, Schneider Electric).
- Knowledge of database management.
- Ability to quickly develop proficiency in proprietary software programs.
- Knowledge of information technology systems (servers, workstations, software, peripheral equipment) and ability to support functionality and deployment.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities, and communicate effectively in written format and oral presentations.
- Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment.
- Must exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership qualities.
- Must have ability to access areas that are physically restrictive (e.g., building mechanical rooms) for routine and investigative field checks and surveys.
Why Join Us:
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.