Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Public Safety Coordinator PRN
Join one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in the role of Public Safety Coordinator PRN. Our Public Safety and Security Department provides a safe and secure working environment so that UCMC can pursue its healthcare vision and mission.
In this role, you will perform a variety of security and safety related functions while involved in the safeguarding of faculty, staff, patients, visitors and property under the general supervision of the Public Safety Supervisor and/or the Public Safety Officer. You will greet visitors and ensure that they are properly directed based on established security guidelines. In addition, you will staff individual security posts, periodically tour buildings and grounds for security inspection, and maintain logs and write incident reports as appropriate. There will also be requests for emergency service assistance to provide support when necessary. You will enforce procedural rules and regulations while providing great customer service to reflect the UCM Pride Values.
- Under the direction of the Public Safety Officer or Supervisor, assisting faculty, staff, patients, and visitors whenever needed and working to maintain a safe and secure environment for the entire Medical Center Community.
- Patrolling the entire medical center on foot and inspecting hallways, stairways, and all other public areas for fire/safety hazards. Reporting any unusual conditions or malfunctioning equipment.
- Routinely providing escort service upon request. Attending court or other legal proceedings to provide details of specific incidents as required.
- In conjunction with the University Police Department, assisting with investigations of all criminal and/or suspicious occurrences in the medical center and reporting same.
- Checking incoming personnel and visitors after hours. Providing appropriate information to patients, visitors, staff, and employees while maintaining confidentiality.
- Enforcing photo ID and parcel inspection policies along with all other University and University of Chicago Medicine policies. Performing individual security post functions as set forth in Departmental policies and procedures.
- Assisting in conducting fire and other security-related drills. For fire/safety hazards, reporting any unusual conditions or malfunctioning equipment.
- In the event of emergencies, requesting emergency services assistance, obtaining necessary information, and notifying appropriate personnel providing nature and location of incident.
- Evacuating persons from dangerous areas, securing buildings or areas, and/or assisting in disaster situations.
- Assisting in patient restraint (i.e. Emergency Department, Psychiatric unit).
- Performing other duties as assigned.
You’ll thrive in this position if you:
- Strengthen Collaboration – you put the organizations interests and customer needs ahead of your own. You identify and create effective working collaborations with others; establish good interpersonal relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated, and offer support. You present sound reasons and recommendations that link to the needs of those impacted; obtain agreement to support ideas; leverage win-win solutions to ensure others take action.
- Demonstrate Emotional Intelligence – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Embrace Change – you treat change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth; identifies the benefits and risks of change. You quickly modify behavior to deal effectively with changes; remains effective during times of ambiguity and uncertainty. You honor the need in others to ask questions; helps others overcome resistance.
- Act with Courage & Conviction – you look at interactions, activities and processes to maximize the patient, customer and employee experience; speaks up for point of view with confidence even when the topic is controversial; shares point of view in a manner that builds support. You alert the right person when expectations or standards are not met or when UCMC’s values are at risk. You ensure proper resolution is achieved and an explanation is received; escalates appropriately if needed.
- High school diploma or GED.
- A Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC), as defined in the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor and Locksmith Act, issued by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation within 90 days of employment.
- Critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, decision making, and time management skills.
- Some college.
- Experience in security or law enforcement.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Why Join Us:
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.