Chief Medical Technologist, Microbiology Lab, full time days, Chicago, IL
Join one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in a Chief Medical Technologist role for the Microbiology and Immunology Lab.
The Chief Medical Technologist is responsible for supervising clinical laboratory operations and works in consultation with both the Manager and Medical Director of Clinical Microbiology/Immunology. Duties include managing workload and laboratory personnel, implementing new procedures, methods, and instruments, and ensuring all training, accreditation, and competency standards are met.
Chief Medical Technologist Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited college or university in microbiology or other laboratory science (medical technology, biology, or related scientific field).
- Certification as a Medical Technologist (MT), Microbiologist (M), or Specialist in Microbiology (SM) through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent.
- Must satisfy CLIA 88 qualifications for high complexity testing.
- Five years full-time experience in a laboratory setting; a minimum of two years at a leadership or supervisory level preferred.
- Ability to train, supervise, and provide leadership in a team-oriented management structure.
- Knowledge and ability to use automated and conventional laboratory instrumentation.
- Experience in clinical microbiology techniques and instrumentation/write laboratory procedures and policies.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, graphical computer programs, and laboratory/hospital information systems. Proven ability to use computers for data entry, retrieval, and statistical analysis.
- Ability to interact appropriately with pathologists, pathology residents, other health care professionals, and laboratory colleagues.